Sunday, February 24, 2019

'Suspected vandalism in Hampi temples' - by K J S Chatrath



About three weeks back I spent three days in Hampi in Karnataka, India, on a personal trip and visited a number of monuments there. 

During the course of my visits to some of these monuments, I noticed that some carvings seemed to have been disfigured partially by the vandals. I have no expertise in the matter but to me as a layman, some of the disfiguring seems to be of recent origin. I am attaching herewith some of the photos that I took of such carvings on 24th and 25th January, 2019. 

May be these are old disfigurements and I am totally wrong. I sent an email with those photos to DG Archeological Survey of India on 7.2.2019 and am awaiting an acknowledgement.  I think it is my duty to bring this apprehension to the notice of my readers and lovers of India’s heritage.  






































No comments:

Post a Comment

'Bateswar Group of over 200 temples in Morena -A lesser known gem of India' - by K J S Chatrath

Late last year, I visited the Bateswar Group of over 200 temples in Morena district in Madhya Pradesh, India. These belong to the 8th - 10t...