Thursday, February 7, 2019

'Indian fashion through the ages, Series- I, postage stamps' - by K J S Chatrath




I have many reasons for visiting Bengaluru in Karnataka, one of those being the desire to visit the philately wing at the General Post Office.

So last fortnight I was there, once again sitting in front of the philately desk. Also sitting was a youngish gentleman with his little 8-9 year old daughter. He introduced himself and told me that he was very happy to see old people like me taking interest in Indian postage stamps. He went on to add that he had come to get his daughter registered in the philately wing so that she gets new stamps as an when those are issued, after all, this is a nice way to know your country, is it not, he asked? I nodded in agreement and complimented him for inculcation such values in her daughter. He then went about the task of depositing Rs.5000/- towards registration and membership.

I on my part bought all the new stamps that I had not seen earlier. I would love to share those with my readers as, quite sadly letter writing and posting letters affixing postage stamps has quietly gone out of vogue. And what a loss!

Here is the first part of such sharing. Indian Postal Department deserves to be complimented for bringing out such lovely stamps.

Come, visit my India!

No comments:

Post a Comment

'Bateswar Group of over 200 temples in Morena -A lesser known gem of India' - by K J S Chatrath

Late last year, I visited the Bateswar Group of over 200 temples in Morena district in Madhya Pradesh, India. These belong to the 8th - 10t...